10.10.2010

Tip #1: Utilize Seasonal Ingredients

Brussels Sprouts Growing
This time of year is full of rich and bold flavors, and there’s plenty more to come as the weather gets cooler. Personally, this is my favorite time of year. My garden is starting to really thin out as the warm weather plants die off, but the fall veggies are absolutely thriving. My Brussels sprouts plants are looking AMAZING (did I mention they were my favorite veggie?) and I can’t wait until frost to harvest them! I have quite a few recipes that will make you rethink what you believe you know about Brussels sprouts that I’m excited to share in a few weeks when the weather’s just right.

In the meantime, I will focus on what’s really fresh right now. Corn, apple, squash, pumpkin, fennel, onion, grapes, tomatoes, peppers, and various herbs are available fresh at markets all over the country. Juicy delicious watermelon is even still in season for the first few weeks of October. So now’s the time to really seize the moment and utilize these wonderful autumn harvest flavors! Over the next few weeks I will be experimenting with different combinations of hearty fall flavors, and I’ll be happy to share recipes along the way. Otherwise, I recommend going to a local farmer’s market to look at some fresh local ingredients for inspiration – see what really speaks to you. This weekend local corn really sang to me… it said make me into corn chowder! The sky is the limit, so just make sure you only pick beautiful, high quality fresh produce to use. The better the ingredients, the better the end result. It really is that simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment